Monday, May 27, 2024

🏆 Achievement Unlocked! First medal in Archery 🎯



Alhamdulillah, last weekend's Miri Invitation 2024 was the first time I received medal in Archery, at first place for team event. 


This came as a totally unexpected surprise. Mainly because I came in last minute as a standby archer because some team members pulled out. And also because I was just an average skill, ranking #29 among the 59 archers in the individual event: right in the middle of the pack. Never thought I'd actually have a shot at winning a medal. 


But therein lies the beauty of teamwork. 


I got to team up with Athery (from Brunei) and Haron (also from Miri, also last-minute on-standby) 

 Each team member chooses a shooting distance each: either 50m, 40m, or 30m. I played 40m. 


When we combined efforts as a team, playing to our strengths, uplifting each other, covering up each other's shortcomings each round, then all of a sudden, we stood a fighting chance. Although we never really got soaring high scores, we scored consistently well enough to outdo our opposing team, if ever so slightly beating them by a small margin. And that was good enough. The Team game was a really thrilling experience, and in retrospect, perhaps the only way I ever stood a chance at winning a medal: let alone gold 🥇


No comments: