Friday, January 12, 2024

CSR: Perkongsian bersama Abang Faisal - “Behind the Scenes” thoughts


Here’s something that many people don’t realize: I’m not an impromptu guy. 


During our recent CSR activity at Kompleks Kebajikan Anak-Anak Yatim Kampung Jepak @ Bintulu, at the venue itself, without any prior information, one of the team members requested me to do a motivational pep talk to the 70+ orphans present. 


I hesitated. Any talk I give, I will come prepared. I can’t just say something on the spot. What should I say? What if I mess up? What if I give a bad image for the company?


At least if they told me the day before, I can prepare something. 


I told the team: Sorry. I can’t do impromptu speeches. 


I rejected. I chickened out. 


But then, I gave it some thought. This is our chance to reach out to orphans. Inspire them with something. I kept overthinking about “what could go wrong?”, without really rationalizing “what could go right?” What if we can leave a positive impact behind? We don’t have to give a long lecture - just something to boost their spirits. This is the chance to practice our cultural belief: Courage to Act.


I told the committee - I take it back. I’ll try. Give me some time to think about what to say.


Okay, step 1 done. Now, step 2: What do I actually SAY to them?


I reached out to the caretaker of the orphanage: Ustaz Muhammad. I’m about to give a talk with the kids. Tell me more about them. What do you think I should say?


Ustaz told me, “keep it simple: just encourage them to do excel in their studies. Give them hope that they can elevate their lives. You see, these kids, many of them come from broken or poor families. Many of them are in this vicious cycle of poverty and hopelessness. What we want to do is to motivate them - have a vision and ambition for their lives, and work hard to get there. 


Previously, we had a professional come here - a PhD holder - and he gave a talk that was very complicated. The kids couldn’t appreciate it, they were sleeping. So, just keep it light and simple. Encourage them to study, to pray consistently”


That was exactly the information I needed. This is what customer focused is about: understanding their pain points, knowing how to specifically address them, and providing your customized solutions. 


After some time of internal preparation, talking to myself - I started the session. 


Make it two way. Always ask them questions. Relate with them as much as possible. Get them to give the answers. 


First, we begin by thanking God who gave us all these blessings. Are you grateful for your body? Your health? We see our fellow brothers and sisters in Gaza, many of them have lost some parts of their bodies - some lost their hand. Their feet. Even their eyesight. Are you grateful for your eyes? How do you show you are grateful?


Exactly - Use it in a way that Allah is Pleased with.


Are you grateful for your intelligence? How do you show you are grateful?


Use your brains in a way that Allah loves. STUDY. 


What do you want to be when you grow up?


Dentist. Chef. Police. Mechanic. Doctor. Airforce. 


Yes, beautiful ambitions. I love all of that. So: How do we get there? 


We study.


Is studying difficult? 


Yes, Sometimes it is. Sometimes it’s painful. But that’s what we need to do, to reach our ambitions. We need to push. Allah gave us the brains to succeed.


My father came from a very poor family in Perak. HIS father passed away when he was seven years old. But he kept studying, and now alhamdulillah we live very comfortable lives in Kuala Lumpur.


Some of those bosses you see outside (pointing to my colleagues and senior managers) - they too were from poor families. But they studied. And look where they are now. They are PETRONAS leaders. 


You can do this too. You can be successful too. 


“How can we do that?”


That day, I made 70 new friends. Alhamdulillah

No comments: