Thursday, December 15, 2022

Emcee @ TSP Convention 2022: Al-Wahn - Desiring Dunya, Belittling Hereafter

 



Long overdue post, I know, but if its important to be said, better late than never 🤣


Alhamdulillah, I am grateful to be able to contribute once again as MC and panel moderator for The Straight Path (TSP) Convention, 2022, “Al-Wahn: Desiring Dunia, Belittling Hereafter” 


I was actually very nervous going into TSP2022, as it was the first live MC-ing since TSP2019 - so I actually put a lot of hours into scripting and practicing.  


A lot of effort goes into making sure we conduct this amanah with the excellence and ihsan. 


For me, as MC, my approach is to try and balance out between being professional, respectful, substantial, engaging, thought provoking, and injecting the right dose of halal humor, without dominating or distracting from the main talks - instead, to complement them to the best of my ability.


But beyond that, as the MC, I always take extra care to make sure we are projecting the right brand. When I'm up there onstage, I see myself more than just a person introducing the speaker or announcing the next talk. When scripting and talking, I try to always ground myself in three different angles: 


1. Representing the Brand - In the audience’s eyes, the MC tends to subconsciously become a representation of the event, and hence the organizers as a whole and so it’s always important to be mindful of the impression we create. If we are disorganised, having a perceived lack of confidence, or even worse, alienate or drive the audiences away, then it leaves a mark on the organizers. It's also worth noting that, to my surprise, for at least 40% of the attendees, it is their first time ever attending a TSP conference. Impressions last, and so it’s important that we generate a positive, lasting one. This could be the event that triggers and inspires a big change of trajectory in their lives! Or, if not done well, could leave a bad taste in their 

    

    Which is why, when I personally organize events, I tend to be particular about the Emcees & their approach 

    

2. As a host - to me, I also take the subconscious ownership to play the role of the host, and in that sense, it's to make a welcoming and comfortable environment that they enjoy learning. What this also means is that we create psychological safety and stay far, far away from alienating, condescending jokes, sarcasm, and touchy/sensitive subjects such as politics (and polygamy).

    

    All of these basically come down to one of the applications and wisdoms of the saying of the Prophet ﷺ :

    

     خَيْرُ الْمَجَالِسِ أَوْسَعُهَا

    “The best of gatherings are those which make room for the most people.” (Abu Daud) 

    

3. As an enthusiastic student - this is something I developed over the years, to deliver with a more energy: Attend conferences with a white belt mentality. As a student, passionate and eager to learn. So when you summarized some key learnings, say it with excitement like its the most awesome thing ever. If you approach it with this mindset, the enthusiasm is more genuine and not just faked or simply regurgitating facts. 


This year was particularly special also, because we’ve recruited a new MC for the event - my fellow Barakah Effect mate, Reeza. It was his first-time ever doing live-Emceeing, and Alhamdulillah I congratulate his courage for stepping up and challenging himself outside of his comfort zone! My man. 


During one of the breaks, a Yemeni sister walked up to me enthusiastically and said, “BROTHER! You are so masha Allah. You MUST do a training program on public speaking! Please, brother!”


Sure, I would love to! In fact, that is one of my long-term goals. 


I’m hoping that with this collective experience, one day we can systemize the techniques to carve out a niche to create training courses to produce, nurture, and train world-class MC’s, speakers and interviewers in the ummah. Help people break down the barriers and overcome their fears of public speaking, sharpen it and excel. 


Finally, i’d like to say thank you once again to the team at TSP, jazakumUllahu khayran, for entrusting me to be part of this great event. I feel humbled that Allah has allowed me to participate in it and contribute to whatever capacity He has granted me with.


May Allah accept from all of us and grant us barakah towards attaining success in dunya and hereafter.

No comments: