Sunday, December 25, 2022

Hisnul Muslim: A 10-second advice that changed my life




During my early ‘20s - the time of my life when I first discovered Islam and acquired knowledge of the sunnah of Rasulullah ﷺ - an Uncle of mine advised me, 

“get this book: Hisnul Muslim. Very important, tapi ramai orang sunnah tak amalkan (Many Muslims who claim to follow the sunnah, they still fail to practice this)"


I picked up the subtext (maksud “tersirat”) behind his words: Don’t be like everybody else. Succeed where they failed. 

Words that would inspire and change my life. 


At the time, I didn't know what the book was about. When I first bought it, it turned out to be simple a pocket-sized compilation of dzikir (words of Remembrance of Allah) in our daily activities, everything from waking up, to leaving the house, to entering the toilet, after meals, when it rains and before going to bed - all compiled from the Qur’an and Sunnah. 


I recall my first impression: 

“Huh? What’s the big deal?”


Back then, I didn’t understand the importance of dzikr. But because of my determination, and out of that trusting relationship knowing that my Uncle wants what’s best for me, I took his inspiring words to heart: Since that day, I put in the effort to try to implement and memorize as much dzikir as I can. Little by little, one dzikir at a time. Looking back, it was one of the most impactful pieces of advice that has personally improved my life in ways only Allah Knows. 

Not only that, but it inspired me as the default go-to gift book I would gift to others. 


And now, 10 years later, reflecting back, every single day I implement the dzikir recitations I learnt from the book - whether it is reciting the morning or evening dzikir, words after 5-daily prayers, or the simple words I recite from leaving my home - it goes into my Uncle's book of good deeds, even if he has passed away. And every person who received the book and implemented those dzikr, for every one of those rewards, my uncle will also receive a piece of that - and perhaps, he has no idea of it!


And all of it originated from a short & concise 10-second advice. And I gotta admit, I’m kind of jealous of my Uncle! How I wish I could also have such an impact on others!


When people speak about “leaving behind a legacy”, we always think about big things - building masjids, writing great bestsellers, establishing schools, “converting” masses of people to Islam. And yes, those are great, but it feels so distant to us "laymen". But the reality is, "a great legacy" is well within our reach: even a short, sincere word of advice can have a huge impact on people's lives that could last for decades. 

.. If only we put in the effort to share. 


But if we withhold ourselves from sharing - from overthinking, procrastination, fearing how “people will judge me”,  or feeling “I’m not good enough”, - not only are we doing an injustice to the people we love, but we are depriving ourselves from what could be an investment for a great legacy to come. 


The Prophet ﷺ said,


مَنْ دَلَّ عَلَى خَيْرٍ, فَلَهُ مِثْلُ أَجْرِ فَاعِلِهِ

“He who guides (others) to an act of goodness, will have a reward similar to that of the one performing the deed” (Muslim)


“When the son of Adam dies, all of his deeds are cut off except for three: recurring charity, knowledge that is benefitted from, and a righteous child who makes du’aa for him” (Muslim)


Keep sharing knowledge. Keep giving da'wah. Keep enjoining the good and forbidding the evil. Don't concern yourselves with how many likes you get, concern yourselves with how sincere you are with Allah when you do. 

 

No comments: