Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The "Sorry" habit in online meetings


I don’t get it… Why do we keep saying “sorry” when we unmute our Mic and speak up during online meetings – even if we are positively contributing? It’s not like it’s a crime to speak 🙊


Funny thing is, this “sorry” habit is infectious – when people keep saying this, I find myself also saying “sorry” when I unmute (while being confused at this unnecessary gesture 😂)


Maybe it’s because we feel guilty at interrupting people’s speech. What I find strange, though, is that we don’t even apologize if we speak up in face to face meetings. 

In fact, we’re quite happy to interrupt others in face to face meetings. 


Must be an online thing. Perhaps we feel we are interrupting someone’s podcast 🎤.

Anyone have a better explanation for this bizarre phenomenon?

No comments: