Monday, December 25, 2023

Coach Faisal's #AKYC23 Classroom: the “16 Leads” - Start off on the Right Footing: Get their Buy-in

 



When I volunteered as a speaker for Al-Khaadem Youth Camp, they committee assigned me to handle 16 years olds - the second oldest group of students in the camp, after Ustaz Adli’s class of 17-20 year olds.

Oh dear.

Having almost zero experience handling a group of teenagers, I was very nervous, with many negative expectations going in. I braced myself, setting the lowest possible expectations I could in handling older children. I was thinking to myself: “These 16 year olds are going to be difficult, rebellious, uncooperative. These older guys are gonna think they’re the cool kids of the bunch, and I’ll be waging war against my own temper just to handle these guys.”

But perhaps, they might turn out to be responsible, awesome big brothers?

So, my first strategy: Get their buy-in. I needed them to WANT to step up their game, not just be told what to do. These are smart kids. They can figure it out.

Right?

Here we go. First, I asked them - how many of you have younger siblings also attending the camp? How many of you are group leaders in their respective teams?
Majority raised their hands.

“This class - you guys - you are among the older participants of this camp. The Abangs of the group. The big brothers. You guys are seen as leaders. Whether you like it or not, your younger brothers, sisters, and team members will observe you and take you as role models. How you behave, they will copy you, emulate you - consciously or subconsciously.

If you choose to be the big rebellious kids who think they are too cool to participate, listen to orders, cooperate, or tolerate the young ones, then that’s what you will teach the other kids. “This is who I want to be when I become a senior youth camp participant in the future”.

On the other hand, if you choose to be the nice, awesome and cool big brothers, who are participative, enthusiastic, optimistic, encouraging, you generously help and guide the little ones around you, you build a relationship with them - you can inspire them. You have the chance to make this the best experience of their lives.

So, what experience do you CHOOSE to create for those around you?

When these kids go back home and tell their parents about AKYC, they will be talking about the camp. So this is my challenge to you: To be such a great big brother to these kids, that they will go home telling their mums, that they met this awesome big brother.

You think you can do that?”

“YES!”

Oh, wow. That defied my expectations. These guy are pretty awesome, after all.

This awesome class chose call themselves the "16 Leads". To remind themselves of their aspiration of being future leaders.
We came up with a manly battle cry - "16 Leads... HOO-AH!"

Okay, next: I need all of you to write down your Mission Statement covering these two:

1. WHY are you here in AKYC23? What is your intention of attending this Youth Camp?
2. What IMPACT do you want to have on yourself and those around you?

This is between you and Allah. Do you choose to be the rebellious kids - or the ones that leave an impact to them?

The Prophet ﷺ said, ““There are people who fast and get nothing from their fast except hunger, and there are those who pray and get nothing from their prayer but a sleepless night.”  (Ibn Majah)

Likewise - there are those who attend this youth camp, and get nothing except for tiredness, lack of sleep, sores on your body, difficult living conditions, and you will go home the same person.

But for some of you - this camp will grow you out of your comfort zone, inspire you to be better, and perhaps, even steer and change the course of your lives forever. So what do you want to achieve?

The Prophet ﷺ said, “إنَّمَا الْأَعْمَالُ بِالنِّيَّاتِ” - Every action has intention. What is yours?

Once you write that mission statement, keep it. Go through it all the time. Remind yourself: That’s why I’m here.



By the end of the first lesson, before I dismissed them, I asked them: Who’s responsibility is it to make this camp a good experience?

Surprisingly, many of them said, “we are”. I asked again. Even louder, they said, “WE ARE”.

I challenged them: “You guys? Not just the facis? Sheikh Hussain & the speakers? The coaches? The committee?”

They shook their heads.

“All of you are responsible for creating a good experience for everyone? For real?”

They nodded with a resounding, confident YES. To my amazement. Dude. These guys are absolute champs.

“Yes. You’re absolutely right. All of us are responsible.

Guys, I want to share something with you. I’m on a mission to create the best experience of this camp for everyone. I want this to be a life-changing experience. But I can’t do this alone. I need your help to make this happen with me.

You guys, you big brothers, you are my abangs. When we leave this class and you disperse into your groups for the activities, you will be my eyes and ears on the ground. I need you to pull your weight.

Can I count on you? Can we make this camp awesome together?

They all nodded.

And that, my friends - was the most satisfying classroom session I’ve ever had in my life.

No comments: