Saturday, December 02, 2023

πŸ“šFamily book picnic day with Tadika Astana @tadikaastanamiri @ Esplanade Luak Beach, Miri




Today Abah did a storytelling for Muawiyah and his J2 class friends, reading from the lovely book, The Rainbow Fish 🌈🐠. 


Admittedly I was feeling very nervous, having done this the first time with other kids. I wonder how it felt like for them, seeing this huge bearded uncle tell a story about a beautiful lonely fish who wanted friends πŸ˜…. 


Alhamdulillah am happy to have had a chance to interact with Muawiyah and his friends. There's nothing quite like that warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction in bringing happiness to kids 😊😍. (Well, at least I hope I did πŸ˜‚)


Storytelling to kids: that was in fact one of my action plans to improve my public speaking skills. 


I remember when I was emceeing for the first Straight Path TSP Convention in 2015, Sheikh Abdul Rahim Green told me backstage:

"You should be a speaker. Here's a tip you can practice to further improve your public speaking: conduct storytelling with children."


Oh? Why children, Sheikh?


"You see, conducting a halaqah is easy. Adults have the discipline, attention span and maturity, especially if they want to learn. 

Children have low attention span, and give immediate, honest feedback (zoning out when they're bored)!" 


So, if can excel at keeping children engaged and sustain their attention, and keep yourself motivated when they zone out, then you know youre doing something right πŸ˜„


Hope I did okay for my first time, and here's hoping for more opportunities in the future. Allahumma barik 🀲🏼

No comments: