Friday, October 23, 2020

Comforting your own soul when Allah does not (seem to) Respond to your du'aa (supplications) 😔

 

Ever caught in situations where you are continuously asking Allah for something – yet it appears that it has not been granted to you?
Ever felt that frustration as if your du’aa – apparently – seems to have no effect?

Ibn Al-Jawzi also felt the same. In his book Sayyid al-Khatir, he mentions:

"I was once in a situation of distress, so I constantly made du'aa to Allah to relieve me from my distress, and to bless me with relief and freedom. Yet, the response seemed to be delayed - so my soul started getting agitated and restless..

I told my soul, "Woe to you! Consider your situation! Are you a slave or are you a king? Are you one who is controlled (by Allah), or are YOU the controller?
Do you not know that this world is the place of trials and tests?
And if you ask for something and it is not responded to, and you are impatient at this, then where is the test?!
After all, are not all trials and tests merely the opposite of our own goals and desires?
If only you were to understand this responsibility, then that which is difficult will appear easy for you, and the unbearable will become light."

After my soul pondered this, it calmed down a bit.

I then told my soul, "I also have a second answer: and that is that are you asking (Allah) your wishes and desires, but neglecting to ask yourself what is obligated to do?
This is the essence of ignorance, for it is appropriate for you to do the opposite, since you are a servant, and the intelligent servant strives to fulfil the rights of his master, knowing that it is not an obligation for the master to grant any desire."

After I told it this, it achieved more peace.

Then, I told my soul, "I have yet a third response, and that this is that YOU yourself have delayed the response, as you have blocked its path with your sins. So if only you were to open the path, the response would be quickened.
Do you not know the cause of peace is taqwa? Have you not heard the statement of Allah:

وَمَنْ يَتَّقِ اللَّـهَ يَجْعَلْ لَهُ مَخْرَجًا﴿٢﴾ وَيَرْزُقْهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا يَحْتَسِبُ
"And whoever fears Allah, He will provide a way out for him.
And He shall Provide for him from sources that he never could imagine?" (Surah at-Talaq 2-3)

Have you not understood that the opposite also applies (that if you are immersed in your sins, your matter will be made difficult)?
Woe to the intoxicant of thoughtlessness that is stronger than all other intoxicants, and prevents the water that is required from reaching the garden of one’s goals!

I then said to my soul, “I have yet a fourth response, and that is that you are asking for something for which you do not know the consequences of. In fact, it might be harmful for you.
Your example is that of a child, stricken with fever, and asking for sweets. The one in charge of you is more aware of your betterment than you are. Has not Allah said,

وَعَسَىٰ أَنْ تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَكُم
"And perhaps, it may be that you hate something, yet it is good for you” (Surah Al-Baqarah 216)

After the truth became clear to my soul, it settled down in contentment.

I then said to to my soul, “I have a final – fifth – response, and that is that:
this wish of yours will decrease your reward (with Allah), and lower your status. Therefore, the prevention of the response is actually increasing of your good (in the Hereafter). If you were only to ask what benefits your Hereafter, it would be better for you.

Therefore, understand all that I have told you”.

My soul then replied, “I have been grazing in the gardens of your response, and the understanding (that you have given me) has caused me to be ecstatic with joy!”

(ibn al-Jawzi, "Sayyid al-Khatir”)

The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said,
يُسْتَجَابُ لأَحَدِكُمْ مَا لَمْ يَعْجَلْ يَقُولُ دَعَوْتُ فَلَمْ يُسْتَجَبْ لِه
“The Du’aa of every single one of you will surely be granted – as long as he does not say ‘I have made du’aa and yet it has not been responded to!’” (Al-Bukhari, Muslim)

وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ ۖ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ ۖ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُوا لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُوا بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ
And when My slaves ask you concerning Me, (tell them) I am indeed Near (to them);
I respond to the du’aa of the one who makes du’aa (to Me)
So let them respond to Me, and have iman (believe) in Me, so they may be guided
(Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 168) 


No comments: